Friday, February 29, 2008

Oh Snickerdoodle!

I can't believe that I have never made these cookies in my life. Where have I been? Maybe it's because there is no chocolate involved, I don't know. Regardless of the reason, I'm so glad I tried this recipe. The cookies came out so perfectly soft and chewy. And they taste divine! Snickerdoodles are a new favorite in our house from now on- cause Mom says so!

Snickerdoodles

1 cup all vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and eggs together until blended. Sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Combine with egg mixture. Chill dough. Roll dough into small walnut size balls. Mix the 2 Tablespoons sugar with the 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Roll dough balls in mixture and place at least 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake approx. 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned but still soft.

“It isn't just the food, either. People might say that chocolate chip cookies are good, but they have to be freshly baked cookies."
-Brian Wansink

No comments: