Thursday, August 28, 2008
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
“In the Virginia of the olden time no breakfast or tea-table was thought to be properly furnished without a plate of these indispensable biscuits."
Sunday, August 24, 2008
How did you score?
Friday, August 22, 2008
A. Attached or Single? Attached 24 years to the same guy- my husband
B. Best Friend? My husband and my friend Debbie
C. Cake or Pie? Cake but I wouldn't say no to pie!
D. Day of Choice? Friday of course! Even though I don't work outside the house, it's still my favorite day.
E. Essential Item? makeup
F. Flavor of Ice Cream? Chocolate Raspberry Truffle from Bruster's
G. Gummy Bears or Worms? ughhh! neither
H. Hometown? Danville, Va
I. Indulgences? dark chocolate and bookstores
J. January or July? January
K. Kids? have three, trying to adopt another
L. Last Movie I Saw In A Theater? Kung Fu Panda- it was funny as heck
M. Middle Name? don't have one
N. Number of Siblings? 2 one sister, one brother, both younger
O. Oranges or Apples? both
P. Phobia or Fear? heights
Q. Quote? Me, the quote queen? lol! One of my favorites is:
"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt
R. Reason to Smile? my kids and family are healthy
S. Season? Fall- just love it!
T. Tag More? Stillwater Suite, Country Dew
U. Unknown Fact About Me? I love romance novels- sappy, I know
V. Vegetarian or Oppressor of Animals? Not big on meat, but I'll eat it
W. Worst Habit? cheating on my diet
X-Rays or Ultra-Sounds? neither hurts so I'll take either one. Ultrasounds tell more though
Y. Your Favorite Food? oh gosh, where do I start? Pizza and sandwiches, mostly. And of course, chocolate.
Z. Zodiac? Huh? don't do that kind of stuff.
Ok, Kat and Dew. Your turn!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Beloit College Mindset List
A snapshot of the world view of the Class of 2012
1. Harry Potter could be a classmate, playing on their Quidditch team.
2. Since they were in diapers, karaoke machines have been annoying people at parties.
3. They have always been looking for Carmen Sandiego.
4. GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
5. Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles.
6. Shampoo and conditioner have always been available in the same bottle.
7. Gas stations have never fixed flats, but most serve cappuccino.
8. Their parents may have dropped them in shock when they heard George Bush announce "tax revenue increases."
9. Electronic filing of tax returns has always been an option.
10. Girls in head scarves have always been part of the school fashion scene.
11. All have had a relative — or known about a friend's relative - who died comfortably at home with hospice.
12. As a precursor to "whatever," they have recognized that some people "just don't get it."
13. Universal Studios has always offered an alternative to Mickey in Orlando.
14. Grandma has always had wheels on her walker.
15. Martha Stewart Living has always been setting the style.
16. Haagen-Dazs ice cream has always come in quarts.
17. Club Med resorts have always been places to take the whole family.
18. WWW has never stood for World Wide Wrestling.
19. Films have never been X rated, only NC-17.
20. The Warsaw Pact is as hazy for them as the League of Nations was for their parents.
21. Students have always been "Rocking the Vote."
22. Clarence Thomas has always sat on the Supreme Court.
23. Schools have always been concerned about multiculturalism.
24. We have always known that "All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."
25. There have always been gay rabbis.
26. Wayne Newton has never had a mustache.
27. College grads have always been able to Teach for America.
28. IBM has never made typewriters.
29. Roseanne Barr has never been invited to sing the National Anthem again.
30. McDonald's and Burger King have always used vegetable oil for cooking french fries.
31. They have never been able to color a tree using a raw umber Crayola.
32. There has always been Pearl Jam.
33. The Tonight Show has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.
34. Pee-Wee has never been in his playhouse during the day.
35. They never tasted Benefit Cereal with psyllium.
36. They may have been given a Nintendo Game Boy to play with in the crib.
37. Authorities have always been building a wall across the Mexican border.
38. Lenin's name has never been on a major city in Russia.
39. Employers have always been able to do credit checks on employees.
40. Balsamic vinegar has always been available in the U.S.
41. Macaulay Culkin has always been "Home Alone."
42. Their parents may have watched "The American Gladiators" on TV the day they were born.
43. Personal privacy has always been threatened.
44. Caller ID has always been available on phones.
45. Living wills have always been asked for at hospital check-ins.
46. The Green Bay Packers (almost) always had the same starting quarterback.
47. They never heard an attendant ask "Want me to check under the hood?"
48. Iced tea has always come in cans and bottles.
49. Soft drink refills have always been free.
50. They have never known life without Seinfeld references from a show about "nothing."
51. The Windows 3.0 operating system made IBM PCs user-friendly the year they were born.
52. Moscow residents have always been able to buy Big Macs.
53. The Royal New Zealand Navy has never been permitted a daily ration of rum.
54. The Hubble Space Telescope has always been eavesdropping on the heavens.
55. 98.6 F or otherwise has always been confirmed in the ear.
56. Michael Milken has always been a philanthropist promoting prostate cancer research.
57. Offshore oil drilling in the United States has always been prohibited.
58. Radio stations have never been required to present both sides of public issues.
59. There have always been charter schools.
60. Students always had Goosebumps.
Monday, August 18, 2008
"Oatmeal in the morning is my thing. I eat it each morning faithfully every single day. Since I am a diabetic, it helps stabilize my blood sugar, and it stays with me until lunch."
Saturday, August 16, 2008
In a small saucepan, combine the cocoa and water, whisking until smooth. Add the sugar and mint leaves, stirring until combined. Place saucepan on medium heat. Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly to melt sugar. As soon as the mixture boils, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until mixture is thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in refrigerator.
“Plant a little mint, Madame, then step out of the way so you don't get hurt!”
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
"I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond."
Monday, August 11, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008