Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snow Storm Chowder


It's finally here! A real snow storm. Yeah! It's been a boring winter and I was wondering if we'd ever see a good storm again. We are supposed to get up to 5 inches, though I doubt that will happen. The part I am most concerned about is the ice forcasted for tonight. Give me tons of snow, but skip the ice storm, please!

Ok, weather is a boring topic except for those experiencing it, so I'll get to the good part, the Golden Corn Chowder. We had wind chills yesterday in the minus categories so I dug around for a dinner that would warm us all up. This recipe was perfect. I paired it with some buttered bread and we were all happy!

Golden Corn Chowder

6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 small onions, peeled and chopped
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup evaporated milk (I used a can-it was good!)
1 jar (2 ounce) pimento, drained (I left this out-just didn't appeal to me)
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on absorbent paper. Saute onion in bacon drippings over moderate heat until tender but not browned. Drain off excess drippings. In a heavy 2 to 3 quart pot/saucepan, cook potatoes in water over moderate heat until tender. Add onion, corn, milk and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through. Garnish each serving with bacon. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6.



“Alas, what crimes have been committed in the name of chowder!”
-Louis P. De Gouy, The Soup Book


"Where does the white go when the snow melts?"
-unknown

No comments: