All these days above 50 degrees is making me think about summer days. I may not be the biggest fan of summer, but after this past winter I think I'm ready this year! Here are some things I'm looking forward to:
1. Corn on the cob- canned is blah, frozen is ok, but on the cob, with butter and pepper, divine.
2. Gardening- The garlic I planted last fall is coming up already, and I'm itching to plant some vegetables. I'm planting an easy garden this year, mostly greens, beans, lettuce and zucchini.
3. Green grass- all that snow for weeks on end has me looking forward to slipping off my shoes and wiggling my toes in some warm grass.
4. Swimming- we got one of those easy to set up pools last year for the kids but summer wasn't that warm. Hopefully it will be this year and the kids spend a lot of time in the pool.
5. Watermelon- juicy and wonderful on a hot day
6. Picnics- the option to eat outside on a nice summer evening is great. The kids think it's a big adventure.
7. Grilling- I've already squeezed in a few grilling sessons on the warmer days, but it's nice in summer to grill a lot. Hamburgers, shrimp, and vegetables, it's all good.
8. Peaches- right off our peach tree in the front yard. Last year wasn't so good so I hope that means this year will be much better.
9. No school- I love having the kids home, love having no school demands (believe it or not, the school is constantly asking parents for time, paperwork and money) etc. I could live without the constant fighting and "I'm bored" comments, but it's a good tradeoff.
10. Flowers- for some reason the older I get, the more I appreciate the beauty of flowers and all their colors.
11. Time off- there is more time to spend together with friends and family, more time to take trips or just get away for a day.
12. No coats- less to lug around!
13. Food- more salads, fruit choices, vegetables and whipped desserts. I love throwing together dinners made of various salads with fruit for dessert. Easy and good!
What is your favorite thing about summer?