Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pasta with Farm Market Tomatoes and Ground Turkey


I thought when the kids went back to school, things were supposed to settle down a bit. I was expecting to have more time, especially now that my youngest is in school full time. By some weird twist, I seem to have less time than I used to! Someone please explain how that is possible.

Anyway, as I was rushing through my day recently, I saw this recipe being demonstated on a local talk show. I had tomatoes from the garden and some fresh basil, but not enough to make pesto, so I could use that. I also only had elbow macaroni on hand and some fresh salad spinach I needed to use up. Even with all the subsitutes, the dish was wonderful! My kids even asked me to make this again so it must be good!

Pasta with Farm Market Tomatoes and Ground Turkey

Extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup dry white wine
4 to 5 medium homegrown tomatoes, cored and diced
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 ounces dried rigatoni, cooked al dente (I used elbow macaroni)
1 bunch arugula, tough stems removed and coarsely chopped, about 1 ½ - 2 cups (I used fresh spinach)
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesean cheese

Directions:

In a large skillet heat the oil and add in the turkey, breaking up the large pieces, and cook until lightly browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a bowl. Add the onion and the garlic to pan and sauté until the onion is tender. Add in the wine and simmer for about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the meat and cook until heated through, about 1 minute longer. Once the pasta, drain and immediately add the hot pasta to the sauce and toss well.

To serve the pasta: Add the arugula (spinach) and basil to the pot and toss well. Drizzle with a little fruity olive oil. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.



“To remember a successful salad is generally to remember a successful dinner; at all events, the perfect dinner necessarily includes the perfect salad.”
-George Ellwanger (1848-1906)
Pleasures of the Table (1902)

3 comments:

CountryDew said...

Sounds yummy!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I'll tell you. When there is a hole, it's nature's way to fill it up. Like how a stream fills up a gully. So if you think you have time, you will instinctively fill it up. Pretend you have less time than what you have and you'll maybe get ahead!

That looks good.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Debi, that is an excellent idea! I will pretend my little guy is still here (and not in Kindergarten all day) and block off hours of time that I normally would have spent with him. It's gotta work!

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this phenomenon!