Thursday, April 16, 2009

Williamsburg Getaway


Over the Easter weekend, we went to Williamsburg. It was a fantastic trip! We haven't been to Williamsburg for four years now, mostly due to the expense. But we missed it so much so we bit the bullet and went.

The picture above is the sign posted on the edge of Berkley Springs, WV when you cross over the state line. I have always tried to get a picture and they've all turned out too blurry. I finally got a good picture on this trip.


One of my favorite places to go in Williamsburg is the Colonial area. Since I grew up only three hours away from here, I visited here often as a kid but I never appreciated it like I do now. We didn't go through the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor's Center this time but instead parked nearby and walked through. You can't access the main buildings without a ticket so it's limited what you can see. When the kids get older and better understand the importance of this area, I'll buy the passes.
The picture above is Bruton Church.


It's always a thrill to see the carriages come down the main street. One of these days, we are going to catch a ride in one.

Right next to Colonial Williamburg is Merchant Square. It has all kinds of shoppes from toy stores to clothing and books. The famous Trellis Restaurant is located here. It's a fun place to look around and try and find that one unique item you just have to have!
All throughout Merchant Square are gardens like the one above.

We did so much more so I hope everyone will indulge me if I post more pictures in a later post!

5 comments:

queen of everything said...

how beautiful. we made the bunny cake and it was awesome.

Kathy said...

I grew up in PG County and loved the trips to Williamsburg also! I still have a silver bracelet that I bought there. Do they still have silversmiths there?

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

queen- Oh I'm so glad to hear the bunny cake was a hit!

ksr- They still have the silversmith, though you can't go in now without a ticket. It's a shame. I have a beautiful silver cross I bought there before the restrictions. It's one of my favorite necklaces.
That is cool you grew up near there!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I love that sign. I recently came back from Jersey. I was so happy when we saw the Virginia signs. Suddenly, everything got beautiful. I haven't been to Williamsburg yet. Someday.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Even after all these years of living out of state, that sign always means home to me too.