Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lemon Cooler Cookies


It's taken me a while to get back into the regular routine again now that vacation is over. And even though I ate like a piggy on vacation, I still had the urge to make something sweet this week. Just something light and not too intense. This recipe sounded perfect. It's simple and remindes me of spring. And I don't know about you, but I really miss the Lemon Coolers they used to carry in the grocery store. I could eat half a box, I loved them so much! These cookies are close to that taste. The only change I'd make is to add some lemon juice along with the lemon peel. It would add that little kick. Otherwise, these cookies are perfect.

Lemon Cooler Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour (used bleached if available)
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. finely grated lemon peel
2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla

Lower oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the flour, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and the lemon peel in a medium bowl. Add butter and vanilla; beat with mixer or use hands to blend ingredients until they form a dough.

Drop tablespoon size dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat. Bake until cookie bottoms are lightly golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cookies and cool completely.

Place remaining confectioners' sugar into a zipper lock bag. Drop cookies a few at a time into sugar and coat well. Store cookies up to 1 week in airtight container.
Make about 2 dozen.

"Martha Stewart showed up at Manhattan FBI Headquarters to have her finger prints taken and pose for a mug shot. Then Martha explained how to get ink off your fingers using seltzer water and lemon juice."
-Conan O'Brien

No comments: