Friday, December 18, 2009

Easy Chocolate Truffles


I find it kind of funny that though I've made very fancy truffles with rich cream, special dark chocolate and expensive coatings, these truffles, with cream cheese and regular chocolate, are some of my family's favorites. I love making them because not only are they so good, they are so easy. So much so that I keep wondering how I'm getting away with this!

Easy Chocolate Truffles

1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
3 cups of powdered sugar
12 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tsps. of vanilla
Ground walnuts, unsweetened cocoa, and flaked coconut

Beat cream cheese until smooth then gradually add sugar, beating until well blended. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and mix well. Refrigerate about 1 hour. Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll into walnuts, cocoa or coconut. Store in refrigerator.
Adapted from Baker's Holiday Desserts

"Whosoever says truffle, utters a grand word, which awakens erotic and gastronomic ideas...."
-Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826)
preface to The Physiology of Taste (1825)