Ok, I know Moms are not supposed to be types who think of themselves a lot. Heck, I think women in general are made to think of others first. But, yesterday at the dermatologists, I was told I might have Basal Cell Carcinoma. To say I'm scared is an understatement. But I am a little calmer today than I was yesterday. Enough so that I started thinking of ways to help myself feel a little better until the biopsy results come in next week. So here are some things I'm doing:
1. Exercise- since I workout most days of the week, it's gotten to the point where I look forward to it as a stress reliever. I worked out this morning and it gave me time to think, plus I feel a little more in control of my body.
2. Eat something sweet- so it flies in the face of number one, but everything in moderation, right? :) I was thinking of making cookies or a pumpkin cake. Just something comforting.
3. Soup- it's rainy and it's cold here today with highs only in the 40's (what happened to Fall?!). A nice warm bowl of soup or chowder sounds very good to me today.
4. Quilting- I love spending time quilting while I watch a favorite movie. It is another activity that keeps me sane and distracted.
5. Talk to my sister- as a nurse, my poor sister really gets it. Our family is always asking her medical questions! But besides my husband, she is the one person who makes me feel like I'm not alone.
6. Talk to my friends- what a relief to have a group of women who understand me, give me wonderful warm hugs and say just the right things. It lifts my spirits to know they are there for me.
7. Chocolate- besides those chemicals in your brain that chocolate is supposed to boost, it just tastes so darn good it's hard to believe anything is wrong with my world, at least for a moment.
8. Build a fire- the smell and sound of a fire in the fireplace makes me calm.
9. Hang out with my kids- they distract me like nothing else. From homework issues, arguing with each other, and their laughter and playing, I keep moving even when I feel down.
10. Get enough sleep- yesterday, I read on MSN that there are five foods that help you sleep. Cherries, bananas, toast, oatmeal and milk. I made sure I had oatmeal with milk last night to help me sleep. If it was that or something I wasn't aware of, I slept very well last night!
11. Do my hair and makeup- the temptation to cut this out of my day is not even there. Making sure I look decent for the day helps me feel more normal and ready to deal with most anything. And believe me, I need my makeup!
12. Cleaning the house- I hate to clean. I mean really hate it. But when the house is all in order from wiping the crumbs off the counter to mopping the floor, I feel a lot calmer. It might never be as clean as I'd like it with three kids and a husband home, but it's close enough.
13. Having a good cry- If I didn't cry yesterday and a little today, I was going to burst. Whatever it does for your body, it's a balm to the soul.