Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fresh Raspberry Cobbler


Ever since I was young, I wished I could own a house with fruit trees and bushes all around my yard. The idea of picking my own fruit and making delicious desserts made me feel giddy with anticipation. So when we bought our current home, I immediately began looking for fruit trees and bushes that would grow in PA. I took a risk and bought wild raspberry bushes from a guy in NC. The first few years they didn't do much and most of the fruit was sour. But this year, the fruit was plentiful and sweet. Suddenly, I needed a good recipe to use for all the raspberries we have been picking in the last few weeks. Although raspberry cobbler is not a common thing, I decided to try it anyway. It worked! Even if you use store bought raspberries, this recipe is worth a try.

Fresh Raspberry Cobbler

1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup self rising flour
3/4 cup milk
2 to 3 cups fresh raspberries, cleaned throughly

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the stick of butter into a square baking dish. Put into the oven and let melt, being careful not to burn.

In a small pot, place raspberries and 1/2 cup of sugar. Add a few tablespoons of water and stir. Let come to a low boil, stirring as needed for one minute. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, the flour and the milk. Mix well until there are no lumps.

Remove the baking dish from the oven and add the batter. Do not stir! Strain the raspberries and add them over the batter mix. Do not stir! Drizzle about 1/2 cup of the raspberry syrup, again do not stir. Place in oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Tip: use the remaining raspberry syrup in iced tea. Very good!




“Southern cooking, a lot of pies, cakes, cobbler, stuff like that - kind of what I'm used to, being from Texas."
-Adrian Moss

No comments: