Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Saturn Peaches


One of the more different things I've encountered lately is Saturn Peaches (I know, I need to get out more). I came across a package in Sam's Club last week via sense of smell. The scent was unbelievable. When I got them home, I tried one and boy, I was glad I was standing next to my kitchen sink! These babies are juicy! The inside is almost white, with just a hint of peach color. The skins seem a bit more tough and thicker than a regular peach but still very tasty. Since trying these, I've learned they are also called Donut Peaches. Makes sense. I'm wondering if these peaches have been around a while and Pittsburgh is just getting into the swing of things (a normal occurrence here) or everyone else around the country is experiencing these as new as well. Either way, I'm glad I tried them. Now I need to find a recipe I can use them in!

"The ripest peach is highest on the tree."
-James Whitcomb Riley

No comments: