Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cheesy Corn Bread


I got a terrible craving a few weeks ago for some cornbread. Not the usual cornbread I make, but something with some kick to it. I went to the pantry to get the ingredients only to find that I was out of cornmeal. Darn. I made sure I didn't forget it the next shopping trip, though! This recipe makes some serious cornbread. It's about twice the size of the boxed cornbread and full of flavor and texture. It qualifies as a meal on it's own it's so filling and rich. Definitely worth the extra effort.

Cheesy Corn Bread

1 cup self rising flour
3/4 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 8 oz. can cream style corn
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet well and place in oven to heat. Mix all ingredients together and pour into heated skillet and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Adapted from The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook

"I remember as a kid being cold a lot, and hungry sometimes. We'd go to bed with just cornbread and milk, and I remember wearing shoes with holes in the bottom. I remember having twine for shoestrings."
-Buck Owens

No comments: