Monday, March 31, 2008

Saucy Meatball Sandwiches


Over the weekend, the kids ate us out of house and home. So due to the lack of available food in the house, I went shopping this morning. In trying to figure out dinner for tonight, I remembered a recipe I saw somewhere for mixing turkey and ground beef to make meatballs, so I bought the necessary ingredients. I couldn't find the recipe I needed so I ended up finding a recipe for meatball sandwiches on Allrecipes and adapted it. I paired it with some honey carrots, sauteed cabbage, and Hoppin John. Mmmmm!

Meatball Sandwiches

1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 cup shredded cheese

French Baguettes or Hoagie rolls

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ground turkey with ground beef throughly. Add next 6ingredients and shape into meatballs. Place meatballs into a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake in oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until cooked through.

Remove dish from oven and add spaghetti sauce. Bake another 10 minutes or until sauce is heated. Serve on buns with cheese sprinkled on top of meatballs. Place back in warm oven to melt cheese, if desired.

“I've got brown sandwiches and green sandwiches - it's either very new cheese or very old meat.”
-Oscar Madison in 'The Odd Couple'

No comments: