Friday, March 7, 2008

Best Ever Cherry Cobbler


Cobbler is one of those desserts that is harder to resist than most. It has the good for you fruit which is topped with a sweet cake like layer. Yum! I used fresh cherries for this recipe. I just cut them in half and pitted them. I imagine that canned cherries would work too. Blueberries would be just as delicious and I think I will try those next time I make this. Try serving the cobbler warm with cream over it. It's out of this world!

Best Ever Cherry Cobbler

3 cups fresh cherries or blueberries
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

Toss together the first 3 ingredients in an 8-inch square baking dish.
Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until smooth. Gradually add flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat at low speed. Drop batter in small clumps over cherry mixture, covering as much surface as possible.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool briefly.
Serve with whipping cream, ice cream or cool whip.


"If life is a bowl of cherries, then what am I doing in the pits?"
-Erma Bombeck

2 comments:

Roanoke RnR said...

This sounds really good, but blueberries are so darn expensive here...1/2 pint is $3.99!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Same here too. I am hoping to catch them in season when they are cheaper and freeze them. I know what you mean though. The price of food is getting so high. It's hard to afford to eat anymore!