Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sinful Rum Cake

Oh, yum! Though I'm not much for alcohol, this cake is really good. I made it for a director at my husband's work place, but I think I'll have to make one for the family too. It's super easy to make and is very rich and moist. The batter and the glaze both contain rum, but I think you could probably cut back a little on the amount in the glaze if you'd like. If you need a fast, easy to make "fancy" type cake, this is a good choice.

Rum Cake


1 cup chopped walnuts
One 18 1/2 ounce package yellow cake mix
One 3 1/2 ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or a bunt pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. Mix remaining ingredients together. Pour batter over nuts. Bake for 1 hour. Cool. Invert on plate. Prick top with fork or toothpick. Drizzle and smooth glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Use all the glaze.


Glaze

4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup rum (I might try 1/4 if you want less alcohol taste)


Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum.


Serves 12 to 16.

From Paula Deen's The Lady and Son's Savannah Country Cookbook.



"A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece."
-Ludwig Erhard


"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."
-Dave Barry

1 comment:

Kathy said...

My mother used to make this for me... moist! fragrant, yes!