Thursday, October 18, 2007

Virginia's Best Apple Pie

I've got it bad. Real bad. Ever since we got back from Winchester, VA, I have been so very homesick. Again. So to help combat yet another attack, I used the apples I got at the Virginia Farm Market and made an apple pie. And it couldn't be just any old recipe. I had to use a recipe from my Virginia cookbook, "Best of the Best from Virginia". It uses the basic ingredients of a regular apple pie, but changes the way they are used so the pie comes out scrumptious. The employees at the Farm Market recommend combining sweet apples with tart for the best taste. They are right, it comes out perfect. And I feel a little less homesick. Just a little.....

Virginia Apple Pie
4 cups sliced apples
1/2 cup melted butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 (9-inch) unbaked pastry shells

Pour melted butter over sliced apples and soak for a few minutes. Combine sugar, flour, and spices. Coat apples with sugar mixture, pour into pastry shell. Cover pie with top shell, crimp edges. Cut slits into top pastry so steam escapes during baking. Brush top of pie with beaten egg. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream.


"Home is not where you live but where they understand you."
-Christian Morgenstern

No comments: