Friday, May 11, 2007

Friendship Amish Bread


I first got a Friendship/Amish bread starter about 10 years ago from a co worker. I had no idea what on earth this stuff was, nor had I ever heard of it. My co worker handed me a gallon size zip lock bag and a page of instructions on what to do with the batter. I ended up following the instructions and making the bread. Boy, it was good!

Last week, my sister asked me if I wanted another bag of starter. Sure, why not. Well, I found out this version is even better. Someone added to the basic recipe somewhere along the line (or my memory is gone) cause this is the best bread I've ever tasted. It makes two loaves and my family eats it before I can even consider freezing the second loaf for later. And now, the basic starter recipe is available on line so anyone can make it without having to wait for a starter to come their way.

Friendship Amish Bread

Do not use any type of metal spoon, bowl or pan to mix!
Do not refrigerate!
If air gets into the bag- burp it out
It is normal for the batter to rise and ferment

Basic starter

3 c. sugar
3 c. flour
3 c. milk

Mix all ingredients with plastic or wooden spoon. Place in gallon plastic zip lock bag.
(I've never made the starter recipe so if it makes enough to divide and share (4 cups of starter), follow step #3 below first then follow the instructions below.)


Instructions

Day 1: Do nothing (this is the day you make the batter or receive a bag of starter. The starter should measure about 1 cup)
Day 2: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 3: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 4: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 5: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 6: Add to the bag- 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of milk. Mash bag
Day 7: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 8: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 9: Mash the bag. Burp if necessary.
Day 10: Follow the directions below.

1. Pour contents of bag into a non-mental container

2. Add 1 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/2 cup milk.

3. Measure out four separate batters (1 cup each) into 4 gallon zip lock bags. Keep a starter for yourself and give away other bags along with a copy of the recipe. Be sure to date the bag so everyone knows what step to start with.

Baking Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


To remaining batter add:
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 milk
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes vanilla pudding or raisins or nuts

Grease 2 loaf pans. Mix in separate bowl 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Dust loaf pans with half the mixture. Pour batter into pans about 3/4 way full. Sprinkle remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture all over tops. Bake 1 hour.


Yummm!


"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth"

-Robert Southly

No comments: