Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday Thirteen- Songs That Make Me Cry

Not a happy topic for a Thursday Thirteen, I know. But I've had a sad song running through my head for two weeks now, and it made me think of all the other songs that make people tear up. Here is a list that does it for me:

1. Don't Blink by Kenny Chesney - this song has been in my head for two weeks now. I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to leave.

2. Somebody's Hero by Jamie O'Neal - I introduced this song to my middle daughter and she tears up on this one too. It has a special connection for us. And she plays it whenever she wants to see me cry!

3. Wildfire by Michael Murphey - I first heard this song when I was little. My friend April loved horses and it always reminds me of her. She died in a car accident at age 34. Makes the song even harder to hear for me.

4. At Seventeen by Janis Ian - I remember identifying so much with the song in my late teens and early 20's. You can just feel the sorrow pouring out of this song.

5. Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle - Any song about my babies growing up and leaving makes me cry. This song brings my husband to his knees, which is why I plan to play it at both my daughter's weddings (I'm so bad!)

6. Everybody Hurts by REM - This song is just so true. It helps me sometimes when I feel alone in my troubles.

7. She's Leaving Home by The Beatles - The first time I heard this song, in the Sgt. Pepper's movie believe it or not, I thought it was so sad.

8. River Man by Nick Drake - I discovered Nick Drake after I heard Pink Moon on those Volkswagon commercials. He is fantastic. But he is depressing. My husband always asks me if I'm feeling suicidal when I listen to my Nick Drake CD's!

9. Come to Jesus by Chris Rice - Such a powerful song. You don't have to be a Christian to appreciate the depth of this song.

10. Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue by Toby Keith - I know this is not supposed to be a sad song, but with what we all went through with 9/11 and with a brother in the military, I feel a lot of emotion when I hear this song.

11. Le Festin by Camille - this song is off the Ratatouille soundtrack. While the song itself doesn't make me cry, the song played at the end of Ratatouille does. Why, I have no idea. I just love the ending for some reason.

12. 100 Years by Five For Fighting - what is it about songs about life and people getting old?

13. Christmas Shoes by Bob Carlisle - forget it. I can't even think about listening to that song and I tear up.

What is the song(s) that makes you feel sad?

6 comments:

Beth said...

What a great idea for a Thursday Thirteen! I'm not familiar with any of these (I'll have to check them out), but I definitely have lots of songs that make me cry. Some of them because they're sad and some because they are so very beautiful. Like Pavorotti singing "O Holy Night." When he hits that high note, I always cry. It is just so lovely, so exquisite, so heartbreakingly beautiful...

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I'll have to check that one out. I like Pavorotti's voice, though. It is beautiful!

Thanks, Beth and have a great weekend!

CountryDew said...

Great Thursday Thirteen! That Wildfire song used to kill me when I was young. Another one about that time was one that went "Goodbye Michelle, it's hard to die... when all the birds are singing ... in the sky. Together we'd climb hills and trees... learned of love and ABCs... skinned our hearts and skinned our knees" or something like that; I can't remember the name of it. What a great list.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I remember that one! Gosh, that was sad. It was called "Seasons in the Sun". Made me cry too!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I love "At Seventeen!" At seventeen I learned the scene, that love was meant for beauty queens, and high school girls with clear skinned smiles... And "Wildfire!"

Actually, I adore sad songs. Here are a couple of my favorites: "Hurt," by Timi Yuro. "For the Good Times," by Ray Price. "Make the World Go Away," by Eddie Arnold. "He Stopped Loving Her Today," by I'm getting a mental block. Ut oh, hubby sees me crying and says I have to get off here now!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I've never heard any of those songs. More to add to my list. Woohoo YouTube, here I come!