Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday Thirteen- Favorite Authors

I love to read. For me, reading provides an escape from everyday stress and I love the idea that I can grab a book and go into a completely different world and maybe actually learn something too! I've been reading since I can remember so I'll include some of my favorite authors, but there are more than I can list here. Darn!

1. R.I.P. Robert Parker- I have to start with him, since I learned of his death just this past Monday. He wrote the famous Spenser series that spawned the show, Spenser for Hire. I never saw the show, but his books are fantastic. I'll miss Spenser, a lot.

2. Patricia Cornwell- Even though I don't read her books anymore, I could not stop reading her earlier works, like Body Farm. Seriously tough reads, she can pack in the details. Her books really made me think and I learned a lot.

3. Jane Austin- Before you picture me as some literary genius, I really don't read Jane's books all that much. I did in college, but I love her stories so much I had to include her. One of these days, when the kiddies grow up and leave, I have plans to plow through all of her books.

4. Jeffery Deaver- Everyone I mention this author to goes "who?". Then I mention the movie The Bone Collector, everyone goes, "ahhh, him". His main character, Lincoln Rhyme, is brillant. I never see the ending coming. I'm currently reading The Broken Window right now.

5. Greg Illes- I can't understand why they don't make movies out of all his books. They read just like a great thriller movie. Fast paced and fun. And he changes characters and plots so you never feel like your reading the same theme everytime.

6. J.D. Robb- also known as Nora Roberts. For some reason, I don't like her books as Nora Roberts. But J.D. Robb and the In Death series is one of those books I wait on the edge of my seat for the upcoming release date. A new one is coming out next month. Yippeeee! Her main character, Eve Dallas, is deep, tough and funny as heck. Who wouldn't want to be her?

7. Alex Kava- One of those relatively unknown authors that writes good novels. Plus I have a soft spot for her since she sent me a Christmas card one year! (Ok, it was her fan club I'm sure, but still.) I haven't had a chance to read her last novel, but I bought it and I'm looking forward to it. As soon as I plow through that Jeffery Dever one.

8. James Blish- I know everyone is saying "Who?" but his books are some of the first ones I remember being totally fasinated with. He wrote the originial Star Trek series books. I could not get enough of those stories. I recently bought the whole series again just to have them.

9. Sue Grafton- Kinsey Milhone. Gosh, what a great character. Her stories speak to the independent side of me. I keep hoping she never reaches Z cause that means the end for Kinsey. But each time, I can't wait to see what the next letter will be for.

10. Sallie Bissel- She writes about relationship and adventure. And with a smart character partically rooted in her Native American past as well as living in the present. Always a good read.

11. Dean Koonz- that guy can write! I feel like I climb into a whole new world and go into some scary places everytime I open his books! His book, Intensity, is one of my all time favorites. His way of describing a scene is unbelievable. Still can't figure out how he does it.

12. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child- Brillant books with extraordinary details, they are a good read everytime.

13. Alexandra Sokoloff- she is a screenwriter that can tell a seriously scary ghost story. I mean the kind where you don't want to be alone you're so scared. While I'm not too fond of things related to evil and demons, if you can ignore that, she writes great stories.

Who are your favorite authors?

6 comments:

CountryDew said...

Gosh, I haven't heard of a lot of these authors and I read all the time. I don't seem to have a favorite author, just authors I read. There *is* a difference, I am just not sure I can explain it!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I have to admit I pretty much stick to one genre so that may be why you haven't heard of these authors. I am sure you are much more diverse than I am, I really should branch out a bit!

Beth said...

I'm not familiar with many of these, so thanks for introducing me to some new authors! I tend to stick mostly to Southern writers like Lee Smith and Tim Gautreaux (I especially like their short stories) but I also like Marilynne Robinson, Elizabeth Berg, and Anne Tyler. Oh, I also used to read Patricia Cornwell (I think she is a fellow North Carolinian) and I really enjoyed her. But, like you, I haven't read her for years. Speaking of North Carolina and mystery writers, have you ever read Margaret Maron? I used to read her, too, and really enjoyed her books.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I've never read Margaret Maron. I'll have to try her books. I'm always looking for a new author to try.

I'd love to read more Southern writers. It makes me a bit homesick, but I still feel drawn to them. I'll start with your list and see where it takes me.

Thanks!

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

We must have similar taste in books. I read Robert Parker, Patricia Cornwell, Jeffery Deaver, Greg Iles, J. D. Robb, Sue Grafton, Dean Koontz, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I would have to add Stephen King, Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, Harlan Coben, and Lee Child.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I saw some of Lee Child's books over the weekend and considered getting them, but wasn't sure they'd be good. Now I'm going to try them!

I think it's cool that we both like the same authors. Anytime you have a recommendation, I'd love to hear it!