Friday, November 21, 2008

Mini Chocolate Chip Banana Bars


Sometimes recipes found on the back of food packages are the best ones. This recipe caught my eye after I bought a package of mini chocolate morsels that were on sale. I had no idea what I was going to do with the mini morsels until I saw the recipe. It just sounded so different than the usual that I had to try it. The flavors of banana and chocolate with the cake-like texture of the bars reminded me of a very sweet version of banana bread. And this recipe made so many bars that we had some at home and shared with everyone at hubby's workplace.

Mini Chocolate Chip Banana Bars

2 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 large egg
2 cups mini semi sweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan.

Mix flour, baking power and salt in a medium bowl. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy. Beat in bananas and the egg. Gradually add flour mixture until just blended. Add mini chocolate chips. Spread in prepared pan.

Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until butter knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack then sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into squares.

Makes about 6 dozen. Recipe from Nestle Toll House.


"My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said 'No, but I want a regular banana later, so... yeah.'"
-Mitch Hedberg, American Comedian, 1968-2005

No comments: