Thursday, August 21, 2008

Summer's End

As summer starts to wind down, these are some of the sights we are enjoying while the weather is still warm enough. Above is our first sunflower. It just bloomed last week. It caused great excitement when it finally showed it's face!

All of the butterflies fluttering around our house are so big. This one happened to hang around our front porch for a good while. Whenever I tried to take it's picture, the butterfly would fly over the house, over to the side yard, then come back and settle again. My son was thrilled to see it. We got to see the caterpillers hatch earlier in the summer, so he has been able to see the whole cycle of the butterfly. Pretty cool!

Now this is my thing. My peach tree. I just love peaches, but getting good ones around Pittsburgh is a trial and error kind of thing. A few years ago, I decided to splurge and buy a peach tree at Home Depot. Besides having a few low producing years and a terminal case of rust, the peaches have been great! This is the first year it's produced so many peaches the tree branches are actually bending over. My hubby used some boards to prop some branches but they are too heavy. I can't wait until they ripen so I can make peach preserves. Yeah!

"In summer, the song sings itself."
-William Carlos Williams

5 comments:

queen of everything said...

mmm peaches. what wonderful pictures to remember summer by.

Kateryna said...

I think that is the most perfectly beautiful sunflower I have ever seen.

I think it might even outshine that awesome butterfly.

wow.... and that is alot of peaches!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks queen and kat!

TopChamp said...

I love the butterfly - so much more exotic than ours!

http://badjokesandovenchips.blogspot.com/2008/07/wordless-wednesday.html

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Scotland, wow! I'd love to see the kind of butterflys you have there.

I have to say, I took a peek at your blog yesterday and enjoyed it. Thanks for dropping by my blog!