Monday, August 18, 2008

So Good Oatmeal Cookies

On Saturday, all I could think of was oatmeal. Just had to have something with oatmeal in it. A bowl of oatmeal? Naw, too healthy. So I made oatmeal cookies. Kind of surprised myself. I'm usually the chocolate chip cookie type. But these cookies are so good, I may have to make them a lot more often! The icing wasn't part of the original recipe, so I whipped up some just to ice a few cookies with. Soft and chewy, these cookies are great with or without icing.

So Good Oatmeal Cookies

4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (to make healthy, you could use 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour)
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups uncooked regular oats
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Combine the first 3 ingredients, stirring well. Add raisins and chill 1 hour to rehydrate raisins.

Beat the butter until creamy and gradually add sugar beating until combined.

Combine flours and next 3 ingredients. Add to butter mixture and beat well. Add raisin mixture, mix well. Stir in oats and pecans.

Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool slightly then remove onto cookie racks to cool completely.

Icing: Starting with about 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, add a tsp. of milk and stir. Keep adding milk about a tsp. at a time until desired consistancy is reached.


"Oatmeal in the morning is my thing. I eat it each morning faithfully every single day. Since I am a diabetic, it helps stabilize my blood sugar, and it stays with me until lunch."
-Nancy Long

No comments: