Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Rice Noodle Salad

It has been so warm here the last couple of days. I think it was about 70 degrees today. There was no way I was going to fix something hot to eat tonight for dinner so when I saw this recipe, I thought it sounded perfect. It has some prep to it, but throwing it together at the end couldn't have been easier. I changed a few things as well, just to personal taste. I noted all these changes below. If it's warm outside where you are, or you're just in the mood for something light and summery, this is a perfect choice!


Rice Noodle Salad

1 (8.8 oz) package of thin rice noodles
2 cups fresh spinach, cut into strips
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 cup pinapple tidbits
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 green onion, chopped


Sesame Peanut Dressing

1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, carrot, pinapple, cilantro, and onion.

In a blender, combine the dressing ingredients; cover and process until blended. Drain noodles and rinse in cold water; drain well. Add to spinach mixture. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.


Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Note: I made this with chicken to make a complete meal (see pic below). I took 3 chicken breasts and added soy sauce and honey to taste and pan fried them. I slice them thinly and added to the salad at the end. Also, I used carrot sticks instead of shredding carrots. I added more pinapple and left out the onion (didn't have any). I also used lemon juice instead of lime. All these changes and it was still great!



“He that sups upon salad, goes not to bed fasting."
-Thomas Fuller, English clergyman (1608-1661)

No comments: