Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kiffel Cookies


Well, it's time to post about sweets again! Truth be told, I've been yearning to bake something in the past few days, but I haven't had any time with all the activities going on in our house. I made these cookies a few weeks ago after finding the recipe on line. I've seen the recipe in different forms, and even different names. Most recipes have cream cheese in them, which sounds good. Someday I'll try those but for now, I'm very happy with how this recipe turned out. It sounds complicated but it's so easy. I cut the recipe in half and it still makes 2 rolls, which translates into plenty of cookies for our house!

Kiffels

1 pound butter, room temp
3 eggs (it was easier than I thought to use 1 1/2 eggs when I halved the recipe!)
3/4 cups sugar
6 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
3 Jars of Baker's Brand Fine Dessert Filling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar then add eggs. Slowly add flour and baking powder. Add milk, stirring by hand.

Flour surface well. Divide dough into equal portions. Roll out each portion into the shape of a rectangle. Spread filling over entire surface of dough. Roll dough then place roll onto lightly sprayed cookie sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle heavily with confectioner's sugar. Cut into cookies.


"Children ask better questions than adults. "May I have a cookie?" "Why is the sky blue?" and "What does a cow say?" are far more likely to elicit a cheerful response than "Where's your manuscript?" Why haven't you called?" and "Who's your lawyer?"
-Fran Lebowitz

No comments: