Sunday, September 2, 2007

Salsa and Chips Anyone?

A neighbor of mine has a wonderful garden that I have to admit I am a bit jealous of. He only grows tomatoes, corn and pumpkins but somehow he does it without barely paying attention to them at all. And they all turn out wonderful. Sigh.....

Recently, he told me to take as many tomatoes as I wanted since he is moving and doesn't want them. Yes! But what to do with all those tomatoes I enthusiastically picked? Why, salsa of course! Now, I do cheat and use a packaged mix called Mrs. Wages, which I bought at the local Agway and Walmart. So all I had to do was blanch the tomatoes, chop them, and add the mix and 1/4 cup of vinegar. I put the salsa in last year's canning jars and put them in the fridge. My hubby took some jars to work to share and I have been giving some to my neighbors. I got some more tomatoes this week so I'm off to find another package of Mrs. Wages! Now, to find ways to use all that salsa....


“Salsa has now passed ketchup as America's favorite condiment. Isn't that amazing? You know it's bad when even our vegetables are starting to lose their jobs to Mexico.”
-Jay Leno

No comments: