Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Wilderness of Sweets

Sweets are the perfect answer to life's little stresses and problems (at least it's always my answer!). Mrs. Brown's Victorian Sweet Shop is a little discovery I made last year when looking for a place to buy English liquorice for my husband. Looking around on line can't compare, I'm sure, to being there in person, but it's the next best thing. It gives me a little tickle to order sweets from an old fashioned Victorian sweet shop in England. As you can tell, I don't get out much :)

The wonderful confections pictured above are Marzipan teacakes. Do they look good or what? I can't wait to try them. Mrs. Brown's also has coconut mushrooms, toasted teacakes, and coconut ice and even more coconut treats.

These little beauties are Pontefract Cakes. My husband loves these. He remembers eating really good liquorice when he was little. It's hard to find anymore with all the commerically made stuff out there. But once these arrived and he started eating them, he couldn't stop. Apparently, it's the real stuff...


Sweet Baccy, ahhhhhh. You gotta try it. It's soft, chewy and very sweet. It's coconut covered in a sweet cocoa. I actually made myself a little sick eating it last time I bought it :) It's also called Spanish Gold and of course, Sweet Tobacco.



What the heck??? If I hadn't seen these before, I would have never guessed. They are liquorice wood sticks. The way people used to eat them was to suck on a piece to get out the liquorice flavor. The only other place I have ever seen these was in Williamsburg, VA in the Historical area shoppes. I have had a set sitting on my mantle for years. I don't usually go for these, though, cause they make for a good stool softener...if you get my drift.


Have fun!!


"Time for a little something...."
-A. A. Milne Winnie the Pooh

No comments: