Saturday, April 21, 2007

Adventures in the Dirt


Well......maybe adventure is too strong a word, but getting my hands back in the soil again after a long winter is a lot of fun. It was finally warm enough to plant something. So in went the Bloomsdale spinach, arugula, Southern mustard greens, collards and a variety of lettuces, including butter crunch which sounded too good to pass up.


This is the third year I've had a garden and I think I might be finally catching on to how this works. I know to rotate the crops every year, and which ones come up better than others. All the hay you see in the garden is from burying my strawberry and mint plants from last year. I learned from The Organic Gardeners that each year you can take the pots of strawberry and mint plants and bury them into the dirt up to the rims and cover them with hay. This protects them until you can dig them out in Spring. Apparently it works cause I got mine out yesterday and I see growth on them already. Yeah!


I really enjoy growing everything organically too. Just knowing all the things we eat aren't covered in chemicals makes it worth all the work. There is tons of information out there for people like me who are lost on a regular basis when it comes to growing a garden, especially organically. Thank goodness :)


Now I just have to be stop being lazy and get the other vegetables into their starter pots. I think I'll wait until my legs and back stop hurting from today to attempt that chore....ouch!

"The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's Heart in a garden
Than anywhere on earth."

-Dorothy Frances Gurney

No comments: