Thursday, April 7, 2011

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

Sometimes, I just get the most awful cravings for oatmeal. I'll eat it straight, meaning as a cereal. McCain's makes a wonderful Irish oatmeal that is very good. But more often than not, I like my oatmeal in something sweet along with chocolate, butter and lots of sugar! I love the chewy texture it gives cookies, cakes and bars. This recipe makes very chewy oatmeal bars. And it's no bake which I like. Easy and quick and it really satisfies that craving.

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

1 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter


Grease a 9x9 inch square pan. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Mix in the oats. Cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until ingredients are well blended. Press half of mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Reserve the other half for topping. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust in the pan, and spread evenly with a knife or the back of a spoon. Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate layer, pressing in gently. Cover, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before cutting into bars.

"Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy." -Lao Tzu

5 comments:

Beth said...

I'm the same way about oatmeal, Mary Ann, especially when it's cold outside. It's always just the thing when I want something hearty and nutritious. And, like you, my favorite way to eat it is in something sweet. :-) I make oatmeal cookies all the time. And this recipe looks wonderful---I just may try it.

(And, as always, I love your quote. Tom quotes Lao Tzu all the time---he was a wise man.)

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Hey Beth, thanks. Could I move in next door to you? You are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! This is my kind of thing. I may try this today. Oatmeal and chocolate! I wanted to give you this address for an online friend that has a store with stuff like ice cream freezers, etc. You might find a hand cranked one there or she might be able to find you one. Just copy this address into your browser: http://www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store/ It is a fun place to visit either way. I ordered my grandson some educational placemats from her and I love them. His birthday is in June but I can't wait that long. The Easter Bunny is going to bring them. lol. Have a great weekend.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I love oatmeal cookies! This recipe will be a keeper. Thanks!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Judy- I will definitely visit the website. Thank you!

Sweet- You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them.