Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chocolate Mint Cake

It's been a very busy couple of weeks. Every time I wanted to get back to blogging, something new came up. I've been itching to share this great cake recipe I found last week too. Again, my kids came up with the suggestion of making a mint cake out of Andes Candies. Like my kids need more sugar in their diet after Halloween, but hey, someone asks can we bake, I'm in! I have to say, out of all the cakes I've made, this one ranks up there as one of the tastiest. I literally could not stop eating it. You have got to try this one.

Chocolate Mint Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I substituted applesauce)
1 tablespoon melted butter
3 eggs
1 cup chopped chocolate mint candy pieces (Andes Candies)
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened (I used low fat cream cheese)
1/2 to 1 tsp. peppermint extract
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup light cream (I used skim milk)
2 drops green food coloring, if desired (I didn't use this ingredient)
1/2 to 1 cup chopped chocolate mint candy pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour (I just used the spray without the flour, liberally). Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, melted butter, and eggs. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed, then increase to high and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the candy pieces and pour into the pan.

Bake for 28 to 34 minutes until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely.

For the icing, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, extract, salt, butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Add remaining powdered sugar alternately with the cream until frosting is fluffy. Beat in food coloring.

Frost cake. Top with remining mint candy. Store in fridge. Serves 16.


"It is the destiny of mint to be crushed."
-Waverley Lewis Root

8 comments:

CountryDew said...

Sounds good! Thanks for sharing. I am wondering how minty it tastes?

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Anita- It depends on how much peppermint extract and how many chocolate mint pieces you decide to use. I started with very little extract and worked up from there. The chocolate mint in the batter melted and left a light mint flavor.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Ooh, Andes Candies--that sounds good!

I love the quote at the end about how it's the destiny of mint to be crushed.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I thought it was kind of an odd quote, but thought provoking! :)

Anonymous said...

I love anything with a mint taste. I am putting this one on my list to try. Thanks. Have a good weekend.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Southernlady- thanks and you have a great weekend too!

Beth said...

I have definitely got to make this cake. Chocolate mint is one of my favorite flavor combinations---I adore both Andes candies and York peppermint patties. And chocolate mint ice cream is my favorite ice cream. Of course, the problem with making this is that I'd probably eat half of the Andes candies pieces before they made it to the cake...:-)

Thanks for another great recipe, Mary Ann.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

You sound just like me, Beth! Thanks for stopping by!