Monday, June 28, 2010

Grits, Grits, And More Grits



One thing about living outside of the South is the unavailibility of Southern foods. It took many years for grits to even make it to Pittsburgh grocery shelves and when they did, it was in the form of instant grits. Greens are not common, and are mostly found at Wal Mart (I grow my own so that helps!). Any variety of beans is on short supply and any mention of ham hocks usually gets you funny stares and a "what's that?" from the locals. So when my husband asked me back in May what I wanted for my birthday, I told him I wanted some South in my mouth and to order me up some of my favorite Southern staples on line- White Lilly flour, Dixie sugar, Dukes mayo and real grits. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to taste that first bowl of grits! Usually I have to visit home to get some and now I can make it for myself. What a treat! A little honey and butter on top and if I close my eyes, I'm home!

Grits

2 1/4 cups of water
1/2 cup of grits
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter

Mix all four ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. If grits become too thick, add a bit of water. Serves 2 large bowls or 4 smaller bowls.


"No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits."
-Mr. Tipton, My Cousin Vinny

"Don't that just butter your grits?"
-Southern saying

5 comments:

queen of everything said...

my hubby loves grits. he likes butter and salt

CountryDew said...

I'm a big fan of grits, too.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I'm southern, but I'm not a fan of grits. However, I do love greens -especially kale and collards.

Beth said...

Hi, Mary Ann. Sorry to be absent for a while---Benjamin was in the hospital in West Virginia after fracturing a vertebra and Ariel is very sick with mono. Hard times...

I had no idea that Duke's mayonnaise wasn't available everywhere---it is definitely our mayonnaise of choice. Just got three jars (they had a sale). I'm glad you got yourself some right and proper grits. :-)

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Oh my Beth, I hope your babies are up and about very soon! My gosh, that is a lot to handle all at once.

There are so many foods I can't get here in Pittsburgh. I look like a darned fool when we go home to Virginia cause I'm stocking up on everything I can get my hands on!