Thursday, June 24, 2010

Chocolate Banana Cake


Tired of the same old banana bread? Well, I've got a great recipe to share that I think you'll love! I found this recipe on Joy of Baking. And you know me and chocolate, I could not resist, especially when I saw that the icing is Chocolate Ganache. But don't let the fancy name fool you. It's just good chocolate mixed with cream. I threw this cake together in between chores this afternoon and was very happy with the results. The flavors of chocolate and banana go together very well, neither one of them overpowering. The only thing I changed in the recipe was to use half applesauce half oil instead of all oil in the cake. This would be a great cake to take to a picnic or any gathering this summer.

Chocolate Banana Cake


2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt


2 large eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium sized)
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup safflower or canola oil (I used 1/4 cup applesauce 1/4 cup oil)
1 1/2 vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 11 inch baking pan with Pam.
In a medium bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients, blending well. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the next 6 ingredients (eggs through vanilla) mixing until blended. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just blended. The batter will be thin.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until center springs back with light touch.
Cool completely.


Chocolate Ganache

8 ozs of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small chunks (I used Ghirardelli chips)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tblsp. unsalted butter (I used salted)

Place chocolate in a medium size glass bowl. Set aside. In a saucepan, heat cream and butter over medium heat. Stir and bring to a boil. Remove immediately. Pour over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until blended. When completely cool, beat with mixer until soft and fluffy. Spread over cake.


"Life without chocolate is like a beach without water."
-unknown

4 comments:

CountryDew said...

Makes me groan, since I am trying to diet! Yikes.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Just a small piece, Dew!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this looks wonderful. I will have to make it. I love the quote about chocolate, too. Have a good week.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks Southernlady! Hope you have a great week too!