Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quick Update

I feel like I'm neglecting my blog. The days are flying by and each time I look at the clock, it's later than I thought. I'm keeping up but someone needs to add at least a couple of hours to each day!

Regarding my home rehab business, we found a house we like. It's a HUD home, which is a way new experience for me! The home is located north of Pittsburgh and is priced in the 40's, not bad and just in our range for our first home (I'll post pictures if we get it). I learned from our real estate agent that investors have to wait to bid at least a week after the bidding starts (it gives homeowners a chance to get the home), so our bid can go in on May 7th. In the meanwhile, I'm getting everyone's information together to apply for a revocation loan (I hope I got that right) through Fannie Mae. They help pay for the mortgage and some construction costs. I had no idea this type of loan existed. To say I'm relieved is an understatment, at least I will be if we qualify!

I took my oldest daughter to the eye doctor last night and we found out she is nearsighted and needs glasses. I just started wearing +1 glasses for reading only, so I'm kind of a newbie to all this. My husband, on the other hand, is blind as a bat and so the doctor thinks my daughter might have inherited some of his eyesight. She is only 20 over 50 at this point. She was thrilled to pick out glasses and she found a pair she loves. I'm glad she is ok with it all. I was afraid she'd be self conscious about it.

My mother, who is doing pretty poorly with memory loss and walking, decided to move in with my sister until my brother is discharged from the Navy next year and can take her in.My sister is a nurse, so that helps. My mother can no longer care for herself and she is afraid of falling down the steps in her apartment. It's hard to see someone deteriorate.

My husband is thinking about writing a book. He is feeling stuck in his career (and his three jobs routine!) so last weekend we talked about what he'd like to do when he grows up :) He said he'd love to teach full time, college level or seminars, something he does part time now. Since you need a Ph.D to teach college full time and he only has a Master's, I suggested he try his hand at writing a book in his field (psychology) and see if he could base a seminar off it. He can't write, but he can give a mean seminar so I told him I'd help do some writing. We are both out of our element here but it can't hurt to try. I'm sure we'll be asking someone for help sooner than later!

My brother is coming home on leave this summer from Gitmo and I can't wait to see him! Once he gets his orders, we'll know when exactly he'll be home. But just the idea of getting to see him and his kids gives me something fun to look forward to. He wants to buy a house while here so he has a place to come home to next year after discharge. That will keep us busy, but we'll squeeze in a visit to Kennywood park and any other fun we can find.

I managed to fit in my grocery shopping today and I bought the ingredients to make Raspberry Swirl brownies, which I hope turn out so I can post the recipe. Plus I can use some serious chocolate about now, especially if next week is like this one was!

13 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, you've got a lot going on, Mary Ann! No wonder you don't have time to post. I'm so glad you found a good rehab house---I'm really looking forward to seeing your before and after.

I'm glad your daughter was happy with her glasses. I think that they're considered pretty cool these days---thank God for that. And I'm happy to hear that your sister will be able to take your Mom in---I know that is a relief to know she's in good hands.

Your husband is very fortunate to have someone like you to support and encourage his dreams.

Looks like you'll have a busy summer ahead---I'm glad you'll get to see your brother. Thanks for letting us know what's happening in your busy life!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks Beth! I love the positive outlook you put on it all cause sometimes I get too overwhelmed to see it ;) and you're sweet to be so supportive.

I really miss posting when I can't get to it. And you know I love to bake so I get a bit cranky when I can't post and share something yummy.

I may have to ask your advice sometime with my husband's book. You write so beautifully. I hope someday to see your writings in print. You'd be famous for sure.

CountryDew said...

You are a busy woman! Good luck with the housing project.

The book is a great idea. I hope you can follow through with it.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Me too, Dew!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I can't wait to hear what happens with the loan. I think I told you this is something we've always fantasized about doing since we bought and sold a bunch of fixer-uppers for our own use, had fun and made money.

My 13-year-old daughter would love glasses. Or braces!

That is wonderful your sister was able to take in your mother.

I don't know where the time goes either. It keeps going faster and faster...

Beth said...

Oh, gosh, that was such a sweet thing to say, Mary Ann! Thank you for the compliment. Of course, I'd be happy to help all I could, but I'm not sure I'd be the one that could be of the most help since I have no training or professional experience at all. And I've never published anything beyond some poetry, short stories, and a few editorials. I was just thinking that Anita at Blue Country Magic would be a wonderful resource. She's a great writer, has had a lot of professional experience, has published extensively, and has several book-editing credits under her belt. To be honest with you, I'm kind of an amateur. But your kind words really mean a lot to me.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

You're welcome, Beth. It's just so true. Your writing is beautiful and touches everyone's hearts. At the risk of being annoying by saying this again, I really do think you'd be great at writing a book.

I thought of Anita too. I was going to impose on her as well if we get stuck. Her stories are fantastic and I love the ideas she comes up with for her posts.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks Debi. I can't wait about the loan, either. My stomach is in knots! You should flip houses again. You were very good at it. I told my husband about your experience, and he was impressed like I was.

I appreciate you commenting, especially in light of what you are going through with your mom's passing. I've been thinking about you and praying you are doing alright. Take care of yourself!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Well, maybe we will! I'll watch you and see how the loan stuff goes.

It helps to do some "normal" stuff. Like I've been saying, sometimes you need a rest from the sadness. There's going to be plenty of it. I don't have to worry about running out of it! I'll be grieving forever.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Oh yeah, and Beth is too modest, as most gentle, peaceful souls are. She writes beautifully.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I agree, Beth is a sweetheart and a gentle soul.

So true, you have to take a break from grief, try to forget for a while. Otherwise, it'll drive you crazy. I've been there myself and I did the same thing.

Just know that people care for you through it all.

I'll keep everyone up to date on the house situation. Hopefully it turns out well!

CountryDew said...

Just jumping in here to say that of course I would be delighted to offer suggestions or whatever. Just drop me a note! A.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

That is such a kind offer, Anita! Thank you.