Monday, February 8, 2010

Digging Out

Oh, what a fun weekend we had! Last week, the local weather stations said we were getting a storm, and they called for about 8 inches tops. I think they were off just a bit because we got 21.7 inches within a 24 hour period!


Here I am on Saturday, doing my best to move some of this heavy, wet stuff out of the driveway. If you look behind me, that is supposed to be our street. On Sunday, I made a path about a foot wide to our front door so we could get out if needed. It's still slippery and icy out there, but the temps are too cold to do much about that.


Needless to say, from this photo, you can tell why we didn't get our mail or newspaper on Saturday.


This split rail fence runs the front length of our property. I couldn't believe that the snow met the bottom railing.

The kids finished their school day Friday but most schools cancelled for today. Even my husband was off work as the county of Allegheny declared an emergercy and only essential personnel had to report. Apparently, most of the city has impassable roads and a lot of neighborhoods have no power.

On top of what we already have, the forecasters are calling for another storm tomorrow through Wednesday. The local weather guys are saying we are getting another 4 to 6 but since they missed the mark so badly last week, I think I'm staying safe and going with the Accuweather forcast which is saying 6 to 11 inches, with possible ice.

At this rate, it looks like the kiddies may be off school the rest of the week!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Yes, it has been quite a snowstorm! More snow...oh goodie .

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I don't think we've ever been hit by two in a row this close before. Scary!

Beth said...

Oh my. That is a LOT of snow. I think it's safe to say your kids will be out for the rest of the week, if not longer. We were very fortunate this go round----mostly rain with a bit of snow and ice. And only a few inches of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Our biggest problem is the miserable, mucky mud in our driveway. But after seeing this, I don't think I'll complain. Stay warm and safe and enjoy the beauty!

P.S. That's a great shot of you in the snow.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks Beth! Yeah it's really crazy. The kids are off school again today and I don't think they will be going back tomorrow either. The snow is expected at noon today and won't stop until Thursday. Ugh!

That is the thing about living South, all that ice! In some ways that scares me so much more than
21 inches of snow. Eeekk!
Be safe!

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Did you get hit hard by the storm Tuesday and Wednesday? The East coast has had a terrible winter this year.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Actually, compared to last weekend's storm, it didn't seem too bad. The morning was awful with the roads almost impassable, but as the day went on it got a bit better. The bonus was that everything was empty, roads, the mall, my gym etc. I was the only person in pilates class. That was nice!

The kids are still off school today but I think the city is trying to get back to regular operations. The city itself is much worse off than the suburbs, where I live.

How about you all? Did you catch any of yesterday's storm? Are the schools back in session? I can't believe spring is less than two months away!