Sunday, September 23, 2012

English Blueberry Scones



A friend in the UK tells me all about her adventures finding sweet treats. She is a great writer so I get descriptions in mouth watering detail. Since I live in an area with no bakeries or even great places to eat, I have to live vicariously through her :) Recently, she was telling me about having scones with strawberry jam and Devon cream and I just had to try them, even if I had to make them myself. I got the strawberry jam and double devon cream then found a great recipe for scones, thinking all the while that I would be the only one eating them in my family (what kid eats scones after all!). It ended up that the scones turned out so well that not only did my kids and husband eat them all, but I got a request to make more! That just never happens so I think this recipe is a hit!

2 cups cake flour (make your own- just under 2 cups flour and 4 tblsp cornstarch), spoon and sweep Method

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces

2/3 cup whipping cream or heavy cream, plus more for tops

1 large egg

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

granulated sugar for tops, optional

Heat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to blend thoroughly. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Work in with a pastry blender and fingers until well incorporated and the mixture is crumbly.

In a small bowl, whisk the 2/3 cup of cream with the egg and vanilla. Stir the cream mixture into the dry ingredients just until ingredients are moistened. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead frozen blueberries in, a few at a time, folding over and adding a few more. Work the dough as little as possible.

Divide the dough into 2 portions and pat into circles about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Arrange on the parchment paper. Brush each scone lightly with cream and sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake for 11 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Serve with lemon curd, butter, Devon cream, and/or your favorite fruit preserves.


Adapted from About guide to Southern Food

4 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, I never had scones before, but these sound tasty. They seem like something you'd have with your tea and crumpets. :-) I do love lemon curd. I used to get it as a special treat when my children were small.

Glad to see you back, Mary Ann!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks, Beth! I love lemon curd too. I could eat it out of the jar :) But it's better on scones.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I have tried commenting five times already. Can't read the words I'm supposed to copy. Trying again.

Maybe YOU should start a bakery?

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I'm having trouble with the new version of Blogger too. As you noticed, I can't seem to get it to publish my post the regular way. It insists on making it a link. Grrrr!

Anyway, thank you! I've thought about starting a bakery here and there but I enjoy it so much now, I couldn't think of making it a job :)