Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Eggnog Spice Bundt Cake

I have made Thanksgiving dinner each year over the past several years. It just worked out that way because both moms are getting up in years and don't get around so well and my sister is a nurse and therefore either sleeping off a shift or working one. I didn't mind because the house always smelled so good and I love the holidays! But this year, my brother is home after 20 years of missed Thanksgivings. He wants to make up for being away so he has been planning Thanksgiving since he was stationed in Cuba almost two years ago. When I offered to help make something, he suggested desserts. Right up my ally! Instead of my usual Pecan pie, this year I can afford to be a bit more creative. I found a recipe in the newspaper for Eggnog Spice Bundt Cake. This cake is easy to make and smells divine. Along with the pumpkin pie and chocolate pie, I think the desserts are covered!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Eggnog Spice Bundt Cake

1 (181/4-ounce) boxed spice cake mix
1 (4-serving) instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding and pie filling mix
1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup light eggnog
1 egg
3 egg whites
1 1/3 cups toasted chopped pecans
Powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray.

2. Combine cake mix, pudding mix, yogurt, oil, eggnog, egg and egg whites in a large bowl. Mix until creamy.

3. Stir in pecans. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. When cool, dust with powdered sugar.


"What we're really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving?"
-Erma Bombeck

8 comments:

CountryDew said...

I think I'm going to make some chocolate lush this year. Secret family recipe!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

That sounds so good Anita! I had to look up Chocolate lush and now I think I might change my dessert plans for tommorow. Yum!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I hope you had a wonderful day with your brother today. I'm sure that whatever you made, chocolate lush (whatever the heck that is, it's got to be good!) or the bundt cake, it was great.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thank you Debi! I hope your day was wonderful too.

Ms. Shypoke said...

I really like seeing recipes that take a convenience product like a boxed mix and make it "special".. I have never had particularly good luck baking from scratch.. I bat about a 50-50 with bread/cakes. I think it has to do with the problem that I am a better cook than chemist.. and baking is really a lot about precise chemistry of ingredients to get both the correct taste and texture!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Hi Sarina, welcome and thanks for comment. I agree. I used to not like using box mixes but I found I like the convinence now. And if you add to it, they can taste almost homemade.

I hope you visit again! I'm a little behind in posting but I hope to get caught up soon.

Beth said...

Yum...I love eggnog, so this cake is particularly appealing to me. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your brother---what a blessing that he's here to celebrate it with his family.

I had to look up Anita's chocolate lush, too, Mary Ann. It sounded positively sinful, haha. (Which means I'd probably really love it!) :-)

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Beth, I hope your Thanksgiving was nice too, and the kids are doing well.

I agree, that chocolate lush sounds dangerous! And Anita thinks my recipes are bad for a diet..... :)

I hope you are all ready for Christmas. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Christmas being here already. Wow, that came quick!