Sunday, October 23, 2011

Baked Apple Pies

On a recent trip to Virginia (I just can't stay away!) we picked up some apples from the farm market. Along with the apple cider, the apples there are some of the best I have ever tasted. So much so that I try to make at least one trip around fall each year just to get some. Inevitably, I buy too much and my apple saturated family won't eat any more. So to avoid waste, I make something with the rest. This year, I found a recipe for individual apple pies. They can be baked or fried, but I like baked the best. They are sweet, tart, delicious and portable!

Baked Apple Pies


1 tablespoon butter
4 or 5 medium to large apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 (8-piece) container refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
1 tablespoon water
Powdered sugar

Add the butter to a large pan and melt. Add the apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.

When the filling is cool, roll the biscuits out on a lightly floured surface so that each biscuit forms a 7 to 8-inch circle. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling on each biscuit circle. Brush the edges of the circle with water. Fold the circle over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Seal by pressing the edges with the tines of a fork.

If you are baking these, pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place pies on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is browned. Remove and cool.

If you are frying the pies, preheat deep-fryer with oil to 350 degrees.

Carefully add the pies to the oil, 1 at a time, and fry until golden brown, turning the pies as necessary for even browning, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar immediately.

Adapted from Paula Deen's Fried Apple Pies

"We are born believing. A man bears beliefs as a tree bears apples.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 comments:

CountryDew said...

I groan with pleasure when I come to your blog! I will be glad when I am no longer on diet!

queen of everything said...

yummy, i love to make lil tarts/empanadas/pies for the family. looks like a great recipe, thanks

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks Anita! I end up eating most of what I make so you can imagine my diet, or lack there of :)

Queen, thank you! Tarts and empanadas sound good too.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Ah, a delicious recipe to use up some of those Virginia apples I picked up last week.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks, Sweet. Enjoy!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You can always get horses. You know they love apples.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Very true, Debi!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

May I request a simple recipe for sweet potato pie?

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

You may.... :) I've been thinking about making something with sweet potato.

Beth said...

Yum, yum...I love apple recipes. I especially love easy apple recipes...thank you, Mary Ann!

Looking forward to the sweet potato pie...

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks Beth!