Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chocolate Cake Cookies


Lately I have been trying to find recipes that are beyond simple. I don't have as much time as I used to but I still want to bake something for the kids for after school. The trick, I'm finding, is to have a recipe be so simple it is easy to remember, you always have the ingredients around the house and the kids (and I) will love it. This cookie recipe fits all the criteria. I adapted it from Paula Deen's recipe for Ooey, Gooey Chocolate Cookies. They are soft, chewy and addicting!

Chocolate Cake Cookies

1 box chocolate cake mix, any kind
1 8 oz cream cheese (I used low fat)
1 egg
1 stick of butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tblsp. vanilla extract
confectioner's sugar

Mix together the butter and the cream cheese until well blended. Add the vanilla. Beat in the egg then add the chocolate cake mix and chocolate chips. Do not over beat. Chill the mixture for about 2 hours or until the dough can be rolled into 1 tablespoon sized balls. Roll the balls in the confectioner's sugar. Place on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 degrees until the tops are cracked and the cookies are set (they will be soft). Let cool. Add more confectioner's sugar if desired.


"There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult."
-Warren Buffett

9 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Keep those quotes coming. They're great.

Those cookies look like some I make. I like them oohy and gooey. For some reason though, lately, they haven't been coming out oohy and gooey. I'll have to try your recipe.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Debi-thanks! I hope this recipe works for ya.

Beth said...

I like your quotes, too, Mary Ann. You've inspired me to include quotes on my posts!

These cookies look seriously addictive. I'm afraid to try them. :-)

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thank you, Beth! Go for it, make the cookies. You'll love them, maybe a lot, but that's ok :)

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Hey Mary Ann, go to my daughter Jamie's blog. Remember I told you she likes to cook like you? Check out her little story about following a Paula Deen recipe and the illustrations she drew to go with it. There's a link on the left of my blog. It's MagicBeanBuyerBlog. Not the shop. The blog.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

I checked out Jamie's blog. That was a funny story! She's as talented as her mom :)

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I thought you'd like that one. I keep telling her to come here too because she'd love all your recipes!

Aw, thanks for the compliment.

magicbeanbuyer said...

ooh these look good! They look similar to a type of cookie my mom would make during Christmas.

Oh my gosh...as I'm typing that, I see her comment, saying the same thing. lol!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks, Jamie! I really enjoy your blog- I'm off now to add it to my blogroll so I can visit more often!