Friday, December 3, 2010

Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie


It feels like it's been forever since I've had time to blog. So much has happened since Thanksgiving. My sister had emergency surgery on Monday to have her gallbladder removed. She is doing much better, but it was quite a saga for her. Then I had to attend an all day seminar for credits for my license (National Certified Counselor/Licensed Counselor), see the doc for a checkup and we have company tonight. Whew! Since this all started, I've been wanting to share a new recipe I tried over Thanksgiving. I've been getting a little tired of the same old pumpkin pie so I tried this one instead. Just a little twist on the old favorite! It was really good. Pumpkin with just a hint of tangy sweetness. The above photo is courtesy of Betty Crocker. I never got a chance to take a picture of our pie. It was gone that quick!

Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg (I used Egg Beaters)
1 9-inch pastry pie shell, unbaked
1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
dash salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs, slightly beaten (again, Egg Beaters)
1 cup evaporated milk (I used skim/fat free)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg; spread mixture in the unbaked pastry shell.

Combine pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Blend in the 2 beaten eggs and evaporated milk. Pour pumpkin mixture over cream cream cheese layer. Bake for about 65 minutes, or until set. Cool pumpkin pie thoroughly. Serve with whipped cream.


"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin."
-Linus from A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

10 comments:

CountryDew said...

I am glad your sister came through her surgery okay. The pie looks and sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

I hope your sister is doing well. I remember when I had mine removed. If I stood up, I could not sit down and if I sat down I could not get up for a week! This looks wonderful. I am going to put it on my facebook page with your URL, so you may be getting some new comments. Have a good weekend.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thank you Anita. My sister is doing much better.

southernlady- *blush* Thanks for putting me on your facebook page. I don't know much about facebook (never really got into it- yet)but I'm flattered.

I'm going to pass your recovery story on to my sister so if she experiences any of the same symptoms, she'll know she is ok.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You can't go wrong with any kind of cheesecake thing.

Don't get involved with Facebook! You think reading everyone's blogs takes a lot of time? Facebook is a WASTE of time and it's addictive! Don't do it! You've been forewarned! lol

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Debi- I take it you have have experience with Facebook- lol! My daughter wants to sign up so I could use her account to take a look around. Sounds a lot easier, mostly cause I hardly do have time to blog, let alone socialize on the internet!

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Hope your sister makes a quick recovery.
My hubby loves cheesecake so he would probably like this recipe.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thank you, Sweet. She is feeling better already.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Yeah, Kurt and Kelly talked me into it. It's great for sharing pictures but it's easy to get caught up in it and every time I get on there, I can't get off! Don't EVEN do the games!

Beth said...

I'm so glad to hear that your sister is doing better, Mary Ann. I've heard that gallbladder troubles can be very painful.

Oh my goodness, that pie looks heavenly---pumpkin pie and cheesecake rolled into one! My husband would definitely love this one.

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Debi- you are too funny! I definately do not have time for all that!

Beth-thank you. My sister was in a lot of pain and feels ten times better now. Big difference for such a short surgery!