Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Peach Crisp

Yesterday, I really wanted to make a nice dinner, with all the fixins. Our area was expecting a nasty ice storm so something warm and comforting for dinner sounded wonderful. Along with the crock pot chili and cheese corn bread, I baked a peach crisp. I froze a lot of peaches from summer just for something like this, but any cooking or frozen peaches will do. Easy, simple and so good!

Peach Crisp

5 to 6 cups sliced peaches (if frozen, thaw and drain all but 1/2 cup of liquid)
5 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 cup regular rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened slightly

Place fruit in an oven safe 2 quart dish. Stir in granulated sugar.

In a medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and spices. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until sides are browned and dessert is bubbling. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Note: Cut the topping ingredients in half if you like less sweet and more fruit.


"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."
-Edith Sitwell

6 comments:

CountryDew said...

I hope that if you ever move back to the area that you invite me over for tea and dessert!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Absolutely!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Yum, does that sound good!

Can you freeze the peaches without cooking them? I adore peaches.

Right now I have an apple crumb pie in the oven and it smells great!

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Oh yeah, freezing peaches is easy. I peel them and cut them to the size I think I will need and freeze them. Sometimes I add sugar if I know I will be using them as an ice cream topping or something similar. Let them sit out till a syrup forms then freeze.

Yum! Apple Crumb Pie. Can I come over?

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Thanks. Next year I will freeze some peaches!

The apple crumb? Um, sorry, we ate it all already...

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Darn!