Thursday, September 4, 2008

Peach Cobbler

Peaches, peaches, everywhere peaches. As you can guess, the peach tree was ready for picking this week. I have never seen so many peaches in my life! I must have peeled and sliced a couple hundred peaches in the past week. I froze about 4 large freezer bags full of sliced peaches, then made two large batches of peach cobbler (one lasagna sized for hubby to take to work), 1 peach pie and canned 14 regular sized jars of peach preserves for family and friends. I still have about 40 peaches on the tree and two whole paper bags of almost ripe peaches on my kitchen counter. All this from one dwarf peach tree!

Of all the things I made with the peaches, my favorite has to be the cobbler. I have to credit Paula Deen for the recipe. Everyone at the hubby's work loved it, even the big, big boss who is not easily impressed! It's such a simple recipe but it tastes like you slaved all day making it. I'd make another batch, but I don't think I could peel and slice one more peach....

Peach Cobbler

1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup self rising flour
3/4 cup milk
2 cups clean, peeled and cored peaches (or blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, apples, or pears)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter in an 8 x 8 deep baking dish and place in oven to melt. Mix 1 cup sugar and flour. Add milk slowly to prevent lumping. Pour over melted butter. Do not stir.

In a large saucepan, add peaches, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup water. Bring to boil then simmer about 10 minutes. Spoon fruit onto batter in baking dish and gently pour syrup over fruit. Do not stir. Batter will rise to the top during baking.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Note: You can subsitute one 28 ounce can of sliced peaches in syrup, undrained for the fresh fruit.


"Chocolate's okay, but I prefer a really intense fruit taste. You know when a peach is absolutely perfect... it's sublime. I'd like to capture that and then use it in a dessert."
-Kathy Mattea

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh! I wish you did mail delivery :P

~Kat

Have a good day

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Lol! Me too!

CountryDew said...

Oh gosh, that looks absolutely wonderful. Makes my mouth water!

Sweetflutterbys3 said...

Thanks, Dew! I ate a little too much of it myself. That Paula Deen knows her stuff :)