Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ready, Set, Launch!

I never thought I would be writing a blog but here it is! I know, everyone says that when they start a blog. But being one that keeps things close in, this a big adventure! First things first. Why the name? No big deal there, just named after my kids who "flutter by" in real time and in my memories of their young lives so far. Don't worry, this is not a blog about my kids. I may find them endlessly fascinating and love them dearly, but no one else is going to be as enthralled as I am! So except for the occasional indulgence I ask ahead of time to be excused for, I will be sticking to other topics.

One topic I am particularly saddened by is the devastation cancer is causing everywhere. I have seen it close up in my own family, taking two of my aunts recently, one very young. Cancer also claimed one of the mothers in my neighborhood last year. She was also young, in her early 40's, and she left a husband and two little girls behind. Now the two very public illnesses of Elizabeth Edwards and Tony Snow. Facing cancer and doing it in the public eye is difficult at best. I couldn't image it myself. But even scarier seems to be the increase in how much cancer is diagnosed. That, of course, could be due to many reasons but still....it's getting to be I hear about it or know someone with it more and more frequently every year.

One inspiring, brave woman has been fighting all the odds and does it with humor and guts and shares it all on her blog. She is a natural at this blogging stuff and I am awed everytime I read her posts. This is a woman with true grit.

http://shannonmelwarrior.blogspot.com/

You go girl!

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.....You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: