Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Creamy Broccoli Salad

The other day, I splurged a bit and bought broccoli crowns instead of the whole stalk broccoli. Yeah, I really do consider that a splurge, especially these days with the economy in the pits and all. But anyway, I got the craving to make broccoli salad, right in the middle of the coldest temps we've had in a long time! But it just sounded so appealing with the tangy dressing, plump raisins, and the crunch of the vegetables. I have a very good basic recipe in my Best of the Best from Virginia cookbook but I altered it a bit to fit the ingredients I had on hand. I'll put the real recipe here, and add my alterations on the side. Enjoy!

Creamy Broccoli Salad

1 large head broccoli (or two smaller crowns)
10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (used 1 cup thinly sliced carrots instead)
5 greens onions, sliced (used diced red onion, about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped English walnuts
1 cup mayo (I used low fat)
2 tablespoons vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1/4 cup sugar

Wash broccoli thoroughly and cut off flowerets into bite size pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add bacon (or carrots), onions, raisins and nuts. Combine the remaining ingredients and stir well. Add dressing to broccoli mixture and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.



"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."

-George Bush, U.S. President (1990)

No comments: