Thursday, May 1, 2008

Granny Smith Apple Pie

I have probably posted a recipe for Apple Pie before, but I know it wasn't this recipe. I tried this recipe for the first time this week and was thrilled with the results. I usually use only white sugar in my pie recipes, but this one called for brown sugar as well. It gave the pie a subtle flavor and made a nice change from the usual taste. The Granny Smith apples added tartness to balance out the sweet from the sugars. An easy pie to make on a weeknight for a special treat!

Granny Smith Apple Pie

1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Toss together sliced apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine brown sugar and remaining four ingredients; sprinkle over apple mixture and toss to coat. Let sit for at least 10 minutes to draw out juices from apples. Add to prepared pie crust.

Roll remaining pie crust over filling. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top of crust to let steam escape during baking. Brush with beaten egg, if desired.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes.
"But I, when I undress me
Each night, upon my knees
Will ask the Lord to bless me
With apple-pie and cheese."
-Eugene Field

No comments: