Monday, December 3, 2007

Sloppy Joe Sandwiches


I am not sure why I never think to make Sloppy Joes for dinner. It's incredibly easy and it's something all my kids will eat. Well, I finally got my act together the other day and made some. As you can imagine, there are tons of recipes out there for Sloppy Joes. And I've even tried a few in my time :) But for this dinner, I went to my reliable cookbook, Southern Living Homestyle Cooking. Hasn't steered me wrong yet and it sure didn't this time!

Sloppy Joes

1 pound ground beef or chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 hamburger buns, toasted

Brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet, stirring until meat crumbles; drain. Stir in ketchup, and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon meat mixture over bottom halves of buns; top with remaining halves. Yields 5 servings.

"I don't need music, lobster or wine
Whenever your eyes look into mine;
The things I long for are simple and few:
A cup of coffee, a sandwich--and you!”
-Billy Rose

No comments: