Monday, October 15, 2007

Favorite Crockpot Chili


I woke up this morning with the idea that today I had to make chili for dinner. It had been a nice autumn weekend with temps in the 60's and the thought of a warm bowl of chili just felt right. I have a recipe that I've used for a while now and it always turns out great. I like my chili hot, but because of the kids and also my husband's sensitive stomach, I have to tone down the heat a bit. So, when I serve this chili, along with the cornbread, I add a lot of hot sauce. Yum!

Crockpot Chili

1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
2 16 oz. cans kidney beans (I've also used Pinto beans)
2 14 1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, coursely chopped
2 gloves garlic, crushed
2 to 3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic, drain if needed. Place all ingredients into crock pot. Stir once. Cook on low 10-12 hours or on high 5 to 6 hours. Makes 6 servings.

"Whenever I meet someone who does not consider chili a favorite dish, then I've usually found someone who has never tasted good chili."
-Jan Butel, author of "Chili Madness"

"Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili."
-Alleged dying words of Kit Carson (1809-1868) Frontiersman and Mountain

No comments: